Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Madonna: More than Meets the Eye

Hello everyone, this blog entry is about 'the gaze' or the 'male gaze'.
The link below brings you to my school assignment in which we were to write a reflection in blog style.

It was written for my Visual Culture class - the first of its kind to begin in NUS. It was a truly enlightening module which taught us how the creation of images and the seeing and viewing relations in society are bound by societal structures. What we see, how we read the images, how we look at images and people, who gets to look at who etc were explored.

While I expected advertising and mass media to be a significant part of this course from the beginning, I was surprised that the course analyzed the 'surveillant gaze', the 'medical/ professional gaze' and the 'institutional gaze' as well. For example, the surveillant gaze includes an analysis of the implications of many of us increasingly being under the watch of CCTV cameras in modern society.

Anyway, this is a write-up my grader appreciated (yay!), and I hope you will too. (:

Here it is:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/13I27PoGDk_5tynsxsQlxSC4htcr_TMqJyzJn4cWj0ho/edit?hl=en#

No comments:

Post a Comment